Old February 11th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Plastic/Vinyl letters

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...6EEwCOrrrr Q-

Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com
Spell checking is left as an excercise for the reader.
wrote in message
ups.com...
Also the autobody industry has some nifty little rubber discs for a
drill that will peal off these kinds of stickers and leave the paint
finish undamaged.

These "nifty little rubber discs" sound interesting. Any more details?
None of the quick Google searches I did of the Web and newsgroups
mention anything like this.

When the adhensive decals on my [fiberglass top] Cobra trailer became
ratty after sitting out in the sun and snow for some years, I had a
terrible time getting them off. Hair dryer, heat gun, WD-40, bug & tar
remover, acetone, plastic scraper, etc. Nothing worked very well. About
half the battle was getting the plastic decal off. The other half was
removing the remaining adhesive. Heating it again helped but it was
still a gooey mess. I assume this is much more like what the auto body
guys have to deal with than are our delicate little sailplanes that
spend less than 100 hours a year in the sun.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"