Old August 2nd 20, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 08:34:47 -0700, resigler wrote:

He mentioned multiple times that he was low energy - low altitude, low
airspeed. In another portion of the interview he mentioned the machine
guns were whistling, which is a well known indicator that your angle of
attack is critical. Turning tighter would increase wing load, which
increases stall speed, which increases the chance of a low speed
stall/spin. My guess is that was a top concern at the time.

That, by itself was an interesting remark, to me anyway.

For several years I've gone to the "Little Gransden Charity Air & Car
Show", in part because its a small field, so displaying aircraft are
quite close and the tiedown area is very close. It also gets an amazing
collection of aircraft. Te Vulcan (when it was flying, BBMF aircraft and
Memphis Bell have all displayed there, along with a couple of P-51s.

Anyway, because the displays are close in, the blast of sound as a P-51
pulls G is quite obvious. I always wondered what caused it since I've not
heard any other aircraft make that noise. Now I know what it is: the gun-
barrels whistling at high AOA.

BTW, when I say Little Gransden is small, think Old Reinbeck - those
living near NYC will know what I mean. If you want to see what it's like,
here's the reference: 52° 9'58.11"N 0° 9'0.54"W The single grass strip
is 2500ft and there's usually at least one P-51 on the field during the
airshow.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org