Old July 23rd 03, 02:46 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
ost (Chris Mark) writes:
From: Cub Driver loo

Holguin's list mispelled the name of Harlan
Pease, so I had no idea when it posted it that the list struck so
close to home.

Harl Pease flew with the heavy bomber group out of Mareeba.

According to my memory, he and, of course, his airplane, were
originally tasked to evacuate MacArthur from the Philippines.
Now, Pease was one of those guys that looked younger than he was, so
after snaking his ridden-hard Fortress into (IIRC) Del Monte Field in
the dead of night, MacArthur refused to get on "That clapped-out
airplane, flown by that goddamn kid." He wired Hap Arnold to send
"the Newest B-17 in the Air Corps, flown by the most experienced
pilot." Arnold suggested that Doug might consider walking.
MacArthur was later extracted by PT Boat.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster