Old June 14th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Default Things you cannot say without raising security concerns...

john smith wrote:
Last month a Hollywood producer was detained for several hours for
honestly answering a TSA screeners question as to his purpose for
visiting. The answer to the question: "I'm here to shoot a pilot."

Yesterday, a single engine GA pilot was intercepted, forced to land and
was greeted by 20 federal agents. As he was overflying a military base,
he was communicating with the controllers. When queried as to his
destination, he responded that he could not disclose that information
because he was employed in a hostile work environment and that
disclosing the location could give his employers competition a business
advantage. It seems the controller only heard the word "hostile" and
immediately notified the security apparatus.

Be careful what you say and to whom you say it, it is likely to be
interpreted out of context.

Without casting doubts on your accuracy,
I'd have to say that the story just doesn't
ring right. If I were overflying a military
base, the last thing I'd do is engage in a
conversation about competitive advantages
and hostile workplaces. If, for some un-
fathomable reason, I didn't want to reveal
my final destination, I'd simply give an
en-route airport. If I felt bad about the
borderline deception, I'd stop at the en-
route airport.