Old March 23rd 21, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

Default Wing Drop, Aerotow vs Winch, Grass vs Pavement.

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 9:20:53 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Not so much if the wing tanks are full and not interconnected.

Dan
5J
On 3/22/21 6:41 PM, waremark wrote:
Someone mentioned water ballast - I think that is very significant, as a low wing allows water to flow towards the tip and make that wing heavier, making recovery less likely.

I believe a nose tow hook reduces lateral excursions, but not all ! There was a Genesis-2 take off accident where the slack was not all taken out before starting tow. This resulted in glider pitching down on the nose wheel which is mounted on a 36” fiberglass shock strut which then sprung the nose up! It’s called the Hobby-horse effect which is annoying, but not all that dangerous, unless a wing tip touches the ground as the fuselage is pitching down. This can (and has) resulted in the glider cartwheeling and ended up inverted!
If you’d ship doesn’t have a nose tow hook I’d investigate having one installed!
Be safe out there and keep a hand on the tow release during takeoff!
JJ