Old March 7th 20, 06:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Aviation Traders Carvair [2/3] - flight helmet clothe.jpg (1/1)

In article , Mitchell Holman
says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

I have heard the Tu 114 failed as an airliner
because it was so loud that passengers refused to
book trips on it. Even submerged submarines could
hear it pass overhead.

Back in the 60s, my father would fly anything available he was rated
in just to qualify for his monthly flight pay...often it would be an
old B-25. He hated 'em because his ears rang so bad my mother would
have to speak louder than normal for him to understand her.

My father flew B-26's and had significant
hearing problems later on. Of course he did a
lot of hunting and that didn't help any.....

Somewhere in my attic I still have both his clothe and leather flight 'helmets'
from the 40s...same as these two. In primary, he flew old Ryan PTs with their
open cockpits and in advanced flew North American T-6s...so you had to have
something on your head!

When I went into Army Aviation in '68 we were given these Gentex helmets...later
they handed out 'sound-proof' helmets which were no better than the original
Gentex!

*

Attached Images
File Type: jpg flight helmet clothe.jpg (120.5 KB, 22 views)