Old June 13th 08, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Roger Conroy[_2_]

Default GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in message

"Roger Conroy" wrote in message

"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in message

"Roger Conroy" wrote in message
we don't have an unlimited budget.
inWWII we concentrated on WWII not WWIII.

By the end of WW2 development of practically all the major weapons
systems of the cold war had at least been started:
Nuclear bombs/warheads, ballistic missiles, intercontinental range
bombers, tactical missiles (ground and air), jet aircraft, "true"
submarines (rather than submersibles), cruise missiles...

all those weapons were for fighting WWII nobody gave a thought about any
cold wars.
we weren't making anything with a the idea of fighting an hypothetical
enemy 30 years in the future in mind.
we weren't building anything that took away from what we were doing.

It looks like you are implying that killing Arab peasants was a major
design criterion for F22 & F35

no. o'm saying it isn't . and therefor wait on them and but what we
actually need and will use

Is that a sentence?

as it is, in 30 year manned planes will probably be obsolete.

we are already at the edge of human abilities.

Why would they be obsolete? Because somebody, somewhere is currently
developing their replacements.
But you reckon it is quite uneccessary to develop new concepts until the
other side actually starts using them against your country.

I have news for you - it easily takes up to to 20 years to move a new
generation of weapon system from "napkin doodle" to front line service.
A young engineer can enter the industry at the start of concept development
and reach retirement before the production line is running smoothly.
I cite the example of the V22. The Ryan company was one of the first to work
on the concept way back in the early 1960s. So it sometimes stretches to 40+
years!

The Canadian Arrow fighter first embodied concepts that only became
"standard features" in the US Teens series.

i like F-22s too, they are very cool. but they aren't what we need now.

I absolutely agree - but how do you know they won't be needed in 10, 20, 30
years time? Its too late to start doodling on napkins when the enemy opens
fire.

With that thinking, the US will still have B17s and P51s as front line
equipment. Somebody still has the blueprints stored away, lets restart the
production line tomorrow! After all they are perfectly adequate for wiping
out Arab peasants and as you has so clearly demonstrated there is absolutely
no possibility of your country having to face any other type of enemy
anytime within the next generation at least.