Old January 28th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider12321

Default Does anyone use the Club Class?

On Jan 28, 11:15*am, delboy wrote:
On 28 Jan, 16:56, Pat Russell wrote:

Does any country run competitions in the IGC Club Class?

USA does not. *We have the Sports Class, which allows any glider to
enter, and another Sports Class (called, locally, the Club Class)
which uses a restricted list of gliders that is different from the IGC
Club Class list.

In another thread, in response to a question about inclusion of the
PW-5, Andreas said:

"Sure - the only limit to CLub Class in Germany at the moment is the
upper limit of 106 for the index."

which makes me think that Germany doesn't run any IGC Club Class
competitions.

And then Martin reacted to Andreas by saying "Its the same in the
UK...", which gives me the same impression about the UK.

Three major gliding countries that don't use the IGC Club Class. *It
makes me wonder if anybody does.

-Pat

Just about every country in the World runs Club Class competitions,
except for the US. It's one of the most popular and highly competitive
national competition in the UK.

But then the USA insists on using imperial measurements, and even
their gallons are different to the UK ones. Shows the effects of
isolationism. Most countries have gone metric, and we have been buying
motor fuel in litres for years in the UK.

Derek Copeland- Hide quoted text -

The US tried to go metric in the early '80s.... No one cared.. it
wasn't a big deal...it didn't work. It's not like no one here uses
it.... it's everywhere.
US..isolationist?