View Single Post
Old May 27th 15, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Info boxes when thermalling?

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:30:07 AM UTC-7, pete purdie wrote:
1. What's my current average? (Last 1 or 2 turns).

2. What's my average since I started climbing?

When 1 2 then time to leave.

At 15:57 26 May 2015, drguyacheso wrote:
How fast I am going UP.

I think of it in terms of the decisions I need to make and info needed to make them.

Recentering:
Current instantaneous rate of climb versus climb rate around the circle (SeeYou mobile depicts this pretty well now - Winpilot used to be the best)

Keep climbing versus leave the thermal:
Average climb rate versus thermal average and ~30 minute average. First one should be greater than the last one unless I'm making a save in which case I'm looking at the first versus the second one. Also AGL altitude versus estimated distance to next good climb based on average glide distance, thermal strength variation for the past 30 minutes, adjusted for how conditions look ahead. Here I'm trying to statistically estimate the probability of having to take a sub-standard climb versus sticking with the current one.

Keep circling versus climb straight ahead:
Approaching cloud base you need altitude to cloud base (or top of lift if there are no clouds), distance to the edge of the clouds (which could be quite long if there is streeting) and some estimate of how broadly the lift is distributed and how concentrated the strong cores are. You won't get much of that from an info box, but it is an important part of tactics if you are trying to maximize XC speed.

Keep climbing versus head out on final glide:
Last circle climb rate versus 30 minute average and current altitude versus altitude required to reach minimum Mc for final glide margin - which may be higher than the 30' average climb rate if the day is dying. Adding in expectations for climbs ahead including adjustments for bad tries and centering time. Adding a little climb at a sub-optimal climb rate in a thermal you've already centered to get up to a comfortable final glide with a buffer probably beats trying to make it up to final glide altitude with a few turns here and there on final glide. This decision varies based on distance remaining and altitude where you achieve final glide - further out and higher up means you are more willing to head out below full final glide. Most of that information won't come directly off an info box either.

Andy - 9B