Old February 26th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default Piper 235 tail skin

Dave wrote:
Where are the cracks located Ross?

I do not think ANY cracks are permitted on the control surface areas,
depending on the year of manufacture.

I am absolutey positive about this on rhe rudder and ailerons...they
need new skins.

Stabilator? not sure..

You might ask on the Cherokee chat group..someone there WILL know..
ALL known about Cherokees is in that group!

Dave

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:41:07 -0600, Ross wrote:

Jay and other owners of this aircraft. Any documentation on cracks
forming on the horizontal tail surfaces. The -235 I am helping on annual
had three additional cracks in the skin beyound the two that were
repaired by the previous owner. Got some old skin and made conforming
patches.

They are on the horizontal stabilator. All go across the raised portion
that Piper blends into the skin (skin stiffiners ?). The patches were
made out of the same skin material so it would fit nicely. All are on
the starbord (right) side of the aircraft and more inboard. 4 were on
the top. Two previously patched years ago. And a new one on the bottom
(at least it was not stopped drilled like the two on the top not
patched. Engine mounts look to be fine.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP