Old December 24th 03, 05:46 PM
Marc Ramsey

Ted Wagner wrote:
I've read about a dozen back issues of the Soaring magazines laying
about my local club, but I have yet to come across a layman's buyer's
guide (or any, for that matter). I've done some 'Net surfing as well,
with no luck. And I'm surprised by the variety of manufacturers and
models.

The sweet spot in the price/performance/age equation is the second
generation fiberglass standard class (15 meter span, no flaps) gliders,
specifically the ASW-19, Pegase, LS-4, DG-101/300, Jantar Std 2/3. Most
were manufactured in the late 70s to mid 80s, are easy for a low time
pilot to fly, have good enough performance to keep you busy with badges
and sports class (handicapped) racing for many years. Plenty of decent
ones can be had in the $20K to $30K price range. Avoid those with poor
finishes, a refinish job can cost as much as you'll pay for the glider
($15K or so). Do have someone with expertise in glass gliders inspect
before purchase.

I've gleaned enough to suspect that my final choice will be something
along the lines of a PW-5, L-33 solo, or AC-4.

Nothing wrong with any of these, but they do have significantly less
performance than more traditional designs, and it can be frustrating if
you want to fly cross-country along with others in higher performance
ships. In Arizona, you won't have much trouble going cross-country in
just about anything that can fly.

But what about the 304-CZ?

Nice glider, but they are newer and will cost a lot more. It might make
sense if you have a partner or two. A flapped ship is also a bit more
complicated to fly, most low time pilots will find it easier to start
with a glider without flaps.

And why are there no American glider manufacturers to speak of?
(I know, too many trial lawyers with too much free time.)

The lawyers are the least of the problems.

Marc