Old December 24th 03, 11:06 PM
Liam Finley

The closest thing to the buying guide you are looking for, is the SSA
sailplane directory, which last came out in 1997. You should be able
to dig up a copy from among the local glider pilot population. It's
out of date by six or seven years but things haven't changed much in
that time.

Given your stated likely choices, I hope you are not considering
buying new. At least for the PW-5, AC-4 or L33 buying new would be a
big mistake.

During the 90's, there was a bit of a bubble in the market for "World
Class" (PW-5) gliders, and "World Class also-rans" (AC-4 and L33).
Alot of guys bought these ships new, and ended up spending close to
$30K for the things when trailer, instruments and extras were
included. Since then, the "World Class" movement has basically
collapsed and these gliders are worth about half that on the used
market.

I suppose if you pick up a used PW-5 or AC-4 rig for mid to low teens,
it would be an okay choice as you wouldn't lose too much when you
outgrow it within a season and want to upgrade.

If you have your heart set on buying new, the 304CZ would be a fair
choice as it has reasonable performance and you would not outgrow it
for some time. Though recent declines in the dollar probably make
them less attractive compared to used ships.

Another thing to consider is who are the guys you'll be flying with
and what do they fly? If all the active pilots at your field are
flying 15m ships, and you are the lone guy with a PW-5, you are not
going to be happy for long. The 40-ish to 1 performance of second
generation or later 15m gliders seems to be a magic number for cross
country flying in many parts of the US.

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message news:bsjGb.13545$7D3.12440@fed1read02...
I'm a new glider pilot, having just switched my FAI air sport of choice
after 23 years of leaping out of airplanes.

By this summer it is almost certain I'll be purchasing my own glider. I'm
interested in having fun, cross-country (eventually competing), and having
fun, in that order.

I've read about a dozen back issues of the Soaring magazines laying about my
local club, but I have yet to come across a layman's buyer's guide (or any,
for that matter). I've done some 'Net surfing as well, with no luck. And I'm
surprised by the variety of manufacturers and models. I've gleaned enough to
suspect that my final choice will be something along the lines of a PW-5,
L-33 solo, or AC-4. But what about the 304-CZ? And why are there no American
glider manufacturers to speak of? (I know, too many trial lawyers with too
much free time.)

If anyone has recently been through this process of finding out what all the
options are in a nicely distilled format, or where I might find some good
Internet resource on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Ted in Tempe