Old April 8th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Sleeman

Default Hypoglycemia?

On Apr 7, 2:43 pm, "EFIS2" wrote:
I'm not really optimistic given
that the condition often causes weakness and lack of awareness if I do
not keep my blood sugar up.

You already know the answer, it sounds like you do not think you are
fit to fly (at least as PPL) presently. It doesn't matter what the
doctor says, if you are unconvinced of your ability to keep control
then you should not be flying.

If your condition is *well* controlled and you know that for the
duration of any given flight that your condition will not create any
undue danger, then there should be little reason that the *FAA* would
prevent you from obtaining a medical with restrictions. Other
countries are not so lenient when it comes to hypoglycaemic tendancies
and you may find that it is not possible if you are not in the US.
There is not much chance of CPL let alone ATPL, but never say never.

I am a Type 1 Diabetic, similar to your malady, I'm not in the US, I
have no chance of a PPL where I live (for the forseeable future), but
I am satisfied in myself that my control is such that for any flight I
would conceivably undertake I am at no more danger than a regular
person, and so I, and my doctors, have no qualms about flying under
this country's microlight (similar to sport pilot) regulations. Of
course, testing, and carrying glucose snacks (Jelly Beans will do) is
mandatory.