View Single Post
Old May 11th 15, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johnny T
external usenet poster

Default SSA Booth April 4-6 at nations largest RC exhibition

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 5:26:20 PM UTC-4, waremark wrote:

I think I did not make my point clear. I was not saying that RC or Sim flying was not relevant, I was saying that the videos showed such extreme skill that anyone would realise normal folk would never be able to get to that level.

That is a very valid point. I am not sure it is worthwhile trying to speculate whether the "skill" required for flying RC is relevant to flying FS - I think it is way more individual than that - I would argue though, that the "enthusiasm" for flight is very relevant - and that was the point I was trying to make.

What I was trying to point out is the perceived difference in what I would call "Production Quality" of promotional materials for each sport. There is a huge difference in that area. I was trying to somewhat convey that idea with the videos that I linked to.

The soaring grand prix video is the closest soaring video I have seen that comes close to the production quality that can really get people excited.

As someone who is starting the cross-over, I am getting somewhat frustrated with the information that is available online (or lack thereof). Also, the information that is available, could use a little spicing up. (FAA Glider Flying Handbook is quite nice - but FAQs and a good Acronym glossary are missing)

Many web sites feel like they were created 20 years ago and seem to have lots of missing information.

Many videos fail to convey the excitement - with the exception of the some of the Grand Prix videos mentioned, as well as Bruno B's videos - I wanna see more landouts - more videos of contest flying - more explanations (Info Graphs) of how contests work.