Old July 12th 03, 10:34 PM
Big John

pac plyer

Nope. Was FAC (Air Commander) that day marking targets for the fast
movers. I was low and slow (peddling as fast as I could G), they
were both high and low but fast. My primary job was Director of II
DASC at Pleiku but was able to sneak away and get lots of missions
during the year. When paper work was done I could fly (over 300 hours
with over 200 missions).

Night TET started (1968) I was able to get airborne and provided
control for strike A/C the rest of the night. Left aircraft lights off
on take-off due to firing around the airport and across the runway.
They turned R/W lights on at my call and off as soon as I reported
airborne (lots of tracers but nothing close as they couldn't see me,
just hear engines). Morning fog moved in and had used all of my gas.
Finally found a 'sucker hole' and dropped through and landed with dry
tanks. All in a days work.

The little choppers were like water bugs, flitting all over the place
and right down on the tree tops. Lost a lot way they were operated
(probably hit with rocks or bow and arrow). They operated in pairs a
lot. One would fly low and troll for enemy fire and the other would
stay high in case #1 got shot down. Pretty high risk missions but not
as bad as Air Force and Navy up north.
..
Big John
Point of the sword

On 12 Jul 2003 00:17:08 -0700, (pac plyer) wrote:

Glad you made it back in one peice. My neighbor lost a number of
pals in his unit that flew Hughes 500's for spotting. There's a sight
on the net he showed me comemorating the missions. You must of been
flying something really hot like huns or thuds huh?

----clip