Old April 15th 14, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Delorme InReach Explorer

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:26:22 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:04:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Anyone know anything about this new version of the Delorme InReach? Apparently adds ability to navigate to waypoints and route planning/navigation.

I can't imagine that to be of much use in a glider, unless you had crashed and were trying to walk out.

A potential problem with using a handheld GPS to walk out is the finite battery duration. I prefer a compass and paper topo map when I'm hiking backcountry. The GPS is good to use for a few seconds to obtain current position.