Old April 10th 04, 05:03 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"old hoodoo" wrote in message

I just read that that the Navy took no responsibility for protecting
the naval base and that this was an Army responsibility. The few
fighter aircraft at the naval base were aircraft in transit or under
repair and there were virtually no available fighter pilots. Does
this seem ridiculous to anyone else??????

Makes sense to me. Tasking Navy fighters with defense of land bases where
Army fighters were available would make fewer fighters available for carrier
service thus rendering surface vessels more vulnerable and less effective.