Old November 15th 03, 05:42 AM
Tom S.

"markjen" wrote in message
news:Iwftb.198900$HS4.1696819@attbi_s01...
BTW, I have several hundred hours "in the goo" in many aircraft but

mostly
Bonanzas. I can handle it too, but I don't kid myself - my risks

would
be
lower in a fixed-gear 182.

Why would that be so?

Look up the fatal accident rates of fixed-gear Cherokee Sixes/Saratogas

vs.
retractable-gear Lances/Saratogas. The airplanes are essentially

identical
except for the landing gear. The rate of the retract is about double.

Both
airplanes go out of control in clouds but the fixed-gears are more
forgiving.

And the fact the rate of retracts that are used in all conditions is
probably double or more negates your point.

Let's let this go. I have no interest in arguing over something that is
widely known and accepted.

The numbers yes; the reasons, no.

My mother is not likely to have a serious crash on the freeway since she
DOESN'T DRIVE on the freeway.

IOW: people don't buy serious hardware like a retractable to go for joyrides
in clear weather like many fixed drivers gears do.

NOTE: Finally someone come close to mentioning CAUSATION in response to the
question, but even there, they miss a significant point, that being how the
various forms of equipment are used: serious travel vs puddle jumping.