Old September 29th 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default More on Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker

I have the SPOT Connect which works with both iPhone and Android. It is a adequate tracker but has some downsides. You have to have a smartphone to activate tracking and send messages other than an SOS so it your phone dies you are out of luck. The other issue is battery life - since it uses Bluetooth to connect your phone is sucks batteries, I am getting only about 12-15 hours usage out of a set of lithium batteries. They just provided a firmware update which is supposed to address the battery issue - we will see. The other issue is email confirmation which I see the Delorme offers. You send off an email and the only way to see if it was actually sent is to include yourself as a email recipient. On the plus side it is only $149 to buy and $149/year for the service.