Old October 2nd 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

Default More on Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker

On Sep 30, 12:00*pm, Morgan wrote:
I've been using the Beta version of the InReach as part of their beta
program. *I'm under NDA, so can't disclose much about it other than to
confirm the known specs that are being discussed.

It does indeed report gps altitude with it's track points. Heading and
speed too. *Very cool!

I've used it exclusively in stand-alone mode while flying or biking.
So while you get extensive features by pairing it with an Android
device, it is every bit as functional as a Spot or Spot 2 as a
standalone device. *Feedback from the device is much better than SPOT
with indicators for when Satellite coverage is not available. *For the
Beta test, the messaging delivery has been fantastic, so I think
they've got a good infrastructure going.

There is room for polishing and improving, but it will be a viable
competitor to SPOT and offers quite a bit more capability. *It's great
to have some competition in the space.

Morgan

Morgan,

Can you confirm that the actual device has a minimum update interval
of 10 minutes? The original spec called for 2 minutes, which would
have made it just about ideal for glider XC tracking. At 10 minutes,
however, it is no better than SPOT1/2 and a good bit more expensive.

Frank