Old May 5th 21, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Hawk Wind

On Wednesday, 5 May 2021 at 01:35:20 UTC+3, Aldo Cernezzi wrote:

When flying in the mountains, instant wind vector display is an absolute advantage. In the flatland, an averaged calculation may be satisfactory. I used to be a big Zander fan (magnetic compass interface, almost completely free from the unsolvable problems created by flux-gate compasses). Now I'm happy to see a new generation of promising devices.

Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it

The vector math of calculating instant wind from TAS/GS difference with corresponding flight track is pretty simple. What I don't understand is how to do this unless you have consecutive wind vectors from different directions.. Thus Hawk cannot update wind reading unless glider is in circling flight. Yes there is no problems with compass, but there is no way of determining wind by flying to one direction.