Old October 21st 20, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default The Apology

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 7:09:17 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've met both complainant and the SSA President, both at the WSPA
seminar at Black Forest in the early 90s and got along just fine with both.

As to respect, what about those of us who are offended by their
complaints? So feel free to apologize for yourself, but not for me.
On 10/20/2020 5:49 PM, MNLou wrote:
Whoa - I think some people need to take a deep breath and do some research.

Some of the women who wrote in have been contributing to SSA in a big way for years.

Not to mention that the current Chair of the SSA is a woman.

I believe the proper response is to understand why someone was offended and determine how to prevent it in the future.

We don't get to determine if someone should be offended. Our job is to respect their feelings.

And, if the Editor and the Chair of the SSF think they needed to apologize, I'll take their lead.

Lou

PS - I think Thomas Jefferson was a great founder. Flawed but great.

--
Dan, 5J

The most telling aspect of this thread is that almost all the respondents are men, and almost all the men seem completely blank ("without empathy") regarding how this ad could feel demeaning to a woman. This cluelessness is, I think, the main point for many women. Dan Marotta gets it. Congratulations, Dan!