Old October 27th 20, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

I've used, in order, a 1973 Datsun 240Z, a 1983 Nissan Maxima, a 1988
Ford F-150 4WD truck, a 2010 Subaru Outback, a 2011 Ford Edge front
wheel drive, and a Mercedes based Class C motor home to tow gliders.

The F-150 was the best, followed by the Outback, both of which were
daily drivers, otherwise.Â* The Maxima and 240Z were stopgaps when the
need arose.

You will find that towing your glider around in a trailer is not
something you'll do often enough to base your vehicle preference on
that.Â* Consider one or trips per year plus the odd landout.Â* I'd base my
vehicle choice on what I use it for most often.

Cheers!

On 10/27/2020 11:02 AM, Marton KSz wrote:
Trucks with big engines will always be a better choice if towing capability is the only consideration. Car only comes into the picture as a possibility when someone wants a vehicle that is otherwise small and efficient when not being used for glider towing.

--
Dan, 5J