Old October 29th 20, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Attention Glasflugel Libelle Pilots

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 8:29:12 PM UTC-6, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 8:24:19 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 10:47:54 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 8:12:11 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 12:31:10 PM UTC-4, Nathan Lemmon wrote:
...you might need a SOLLFAHRTGEBER.

H301 only, right?
I had one of these in my H301 but took it out when TE became a 'thing'. The instrument had one Pitot port for the ASI, one Static pressure port for the Vario and one for the capacity. Not sure how the speed indicator's readout would be influenced if one would feed it TE as reference.
Still, it is one neat conversation piece. ;-)

Uli
'AS'

Uli,

Hook capacity up as normal. Hook TE probe to Static port on instrument, and ship's static port to Pitot port on instrument. TE is negative Pitot (for proper TE Compensation), and the airspeed portion doesn't care if pitot is higher or static is lower. It's all about the delta. Airspeed will read correctly in this configuration, and the vario is now TE compensated.

Tested and verified in my Kestrel 19 just over a year ago.

Steve Leonard

Hi Steve - thanks for the explanation! That makes sense but it was not how it was hooked up. It was plumbed according to the port designations, so I didn't trust the ASI indication.
I replaced the Sollfahrtgeber with an early Cambridge vario soon after I got the ship and relied on the McCready ring for speed to fly.
I still have the instrument around, though - cool mechanics! :-)

Uli
'AS'

I have one on the shelf in the garage. Doubt it's serviceable.

Frank Whiteley