View Single Post
Old October 29th 20, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 7:02:00 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 8:39:38 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 10:58:34 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Nowadays, we prefer a 24' motorhome for the long trips.

Has been mentioned numerous times before here but since the secret weapon of any teacher/instructor is repetition, I say it again:
Beware of vehicles with a long overhang, i.e. distance between the rear axle and the tow hitch. Any bumps in the road the towing vehicle goes over will be amplified as far as up and down motion goes. Class-C Motorhomes can have a ridiculous overhang.
Also, if the trailer has no brakes and the rig gets out of line during hard braking, a long overhang can wreak havoc and end in a jack-knife much faster than towing with a vehicle having a short overhang.

Uli
'AS'

I have never heard of a Class C motorhome jackknifing while pulling a glider (I have heard of passenger car towing accidents, however). Perhaps you can cite the accidents you are referring to.

Tom

Interesting! So because you have never heard of if means it hadn't happen? You keep a running log of every accident involving a class C camper towing a trailer worldwide ever since class C campers or similarly sized vehicles were equipped with trailer hitches? ;-)
Also, please reread my comment - 'can' being the operative word to look for. My assertion is based on simple physics. A top-view free body diagram should make it clear why a longer lever arm between the tow hitch and the rear axle is a disadvantage when the trailer and towing vehicle is not in line during hard braking.

Uli
'AS'

It means EXACTLY what I said: I have never heard of it. It sounds like YOU have never heard of it, either.

Tom