Old October 29th 20, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Westbrook[_2_]

Default The Apology

Gregg,

I would assume that the group of women you are addressing includes the specific women who wrote into Soaring? While you may not agree with their view, they exist and many of us know these specific women and respect them. So to spout out general pejoratives towards these members of our community is unacceptable as many of us have tried to point out from many different angles.

I'm sure that the soaring world is better in some ways from support Bob and yourself have provided through instruction, tows and donations. That however does not give you a free pass to call women "childless corporate whores" or tell them they'd "be more attractive if they kept their mouth shut".

I'm positive the gainfully employed women I know, that again can be single or married and with or without kids are happy that they can make that decision for themselves. They're happy that they can make the choice to fly or not. They're happy that they can be married to a great person. Or single, rather than possibly be at home raising the kids for you and maybe allowed to fly on weekends.

Soaring is a small world and we haven't met but one day we might or there's a good chance we already have some soaring friends in common. I think one problem is the ability to type out whatever pops in your head on a keyboard and think its ok. I'm guessing if you met these women in real life you wouldn't say it to their face. I'm guessing it wouldn't be ok for someone to say these things about your wife or daughter if she asked for mutual respect - even if you didn't understand her view. Lets try to have some common decency and respect towards our female colleagues whether we are standing right next to them or conversing online.

Mike