Old October 30th 20, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Apology

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 8:23:51 PM UTC-4, Chip Bearden wrote:
* * * * * *
WE DID IT! "The Apology" is now the 7th-most-viewed RAS Posting of 2020!
* * * * * *

How awesome is that?!?!?! I'd like to thank the SSA, RAS readers, my family.... Wait, this wasn't my thread. I should let Bob Youngblood make the speech. Maybe he and Gregg Ballou and Tom Seim can come up to accept their 7th-place trophy.

What, you say 7th place is the 6th loser? Sorry you feel that way but there were over 1,100 discussions this year so this is no small feat.

Just a suggestion, Bob: ditch "The Apology, Chapter 2" idea. Sequels are never as good as the original.

What a remarkable achievement, especially since almost NOTHING in the thread actually related to soaring. I know it was difficult at times. Some of you were up late working on your postings. You even involved your families to get objective research ("honey, I was thinking we could get away to a nice romantic bed & breakfast this weekend, maybe do some antiquing and wine tasting, you don't think this ad is sexist, do you?").

It was tough. But if it were easy, anyone could have done it. Be proud! Without you, "The Apology" could have been just another cooky, offensive diatribe gathering dust in ignominy at the bottom of the list with Daryl Kabatoof's "If I Were Mayor of Saskatoon" and "Mary, Monkey, Sun, Tree and Penis Whoreshippers".

WHOA!!! Two threads that both mention "whores". Is that eerie, or what?

We can't all be winners, of course. There were some casualties as "The Apology" shot through the list like Doug Jacobs through a weekend club contest. Among them: "Gliding risk...." (a personal fave, though it slipped to 10th). And "How About Story Time", Hank Nixon's marvelous interlude last spring that helped navigate us away from the divisiveness in the early days of the pandemic--sort of a virtual round of kumbaya.

Sorry, Hank; unlike "The Apology", your posting--now 11th--actually had something to do with soaring so it seems kinda unfair. But the fans have spoken.

RANKED BY # OF VIEWS
1. What have we learned from all this? (Gold)
2. Best Overall Motorglider available today? (Silver)
3. My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders (Bronze)
4. Which 18m FES sailplane to buy? (Honorable Mention)
5. Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20
6. Js3 jet catastrophic failure.
7. The Apology
8. Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada
9. 27 crash at Ely?
10. Gliding risk....
11. How About Story Time

NEWS FLASH: An "under the radar" award as "The Apology" nearly reaches the medal stand in the "number of posts" category for audience participation!!! This wasn't just a few guys talking back and forth for a week trolling for votes, although it sometimes seemed like that. Take a look:

RANKED BY # OF POSTS
1. What have we learned from all this? (Gold)
2. Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20 (Silver)
3. Best Overall Motorglider available today? (Bronze)
4. The Apology (Honorable Mention)

And on the subject of what did we learn from all of this? As far as I can tell, not a f*#@ing thing.

Chip Bearden
JB

Chip, get help quick, call your psychiatrist, get some Doxepin and combine with Sineguan it might help with your heat oppressed delusions. Now I am working on chapter three," The Posse Wore Lipstick And Drove A Prius". I have a list of characters for each chapter, chapter two, "The Cult Invasion", Kammine plays Sandra Fluke.