Old October 30th 20, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 5:54:34 PM UTC-4, Chris Behm wrote:
On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 9:57:38 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Chris Behm wrote on 10/25/2020 11:23 AM:
I am wondering how often a truck for towing a glider trailer might be an advantage? I have yet to buy my first glider, but of course and thinking that the next vehicle I purchase should be a good one to tow with (Incidentally, thinking of the GMC/Chevy Canyon/Colorado, with the 2.8L inline 4 diesel)..
But I am wondering how often that a truck is a better choice, all things considered.

Here's another idea: look at the tow vehicles on the airfield where you will be flying. That
might give you an idea of what is useful in your area. If you do see a 4WD pickup tow vehicle,
chat up the owner, find out why they have it, then get their phone number, just in case you do
land out in a difficult access field. Buy them a beer once in a while, so they think you are
worth retrieving ;^)

Spend more on the glider, less on the tow vehicle - but get one that tows safely on the highway.

Thanks to all of you for replying. There is lots of great info here.
I should have been more specific regarding the car vs truck question. I am wondering about outlanding retrieves. Part of me thinks that a truck would be much better, the other parts thinks that most fields that are safely landable by a glider would be able to be traversed by most cars, especially AWD cars.
Being a bit of a frugal guy, I would rather not waste fuel 99% of the time. I suppose I could purchase a dedicated vehicle for towing to a glider event and the possible outlanding recoveries. But it sure would be great to have something double duty that could do both, and be economical when not towing a glider.

What are are the ranges of trailer weights for 15M gliders? I would assume a Libelle in an Eberle trailer would be at the low end of the range. What does that weigh loaded?
How about an 18M span ship, like a Ventus 2 in a Cobra or Comet?

Thanks again, guys.
Try to be nice to each other.....

Very Respectfully,
Target

I will throw my $0.02US here.....
I KNOW I have not towed as many miles as many here.
I will say I have towed using an early "Super Beetle" (90hp on a good day?) with a heavy wood trailer on flat roads.....55MPH with no tailwind was a struggle...Frikkin trailer was a high percentage of tow vehicle weight, even empty....sigh.
I have towed with large motor homes.

Personal cars, I have used a '75 Chevy Monza 4cyl 5MT, '84 Daytona turbo 4cyl 5mt, '88 Camry Alltrac 4cyl AT, '75 Chevy Nova 5L V8 AT, '98 Legacy GT wagon (estate or shooting brake....depends on geography) MT.
Most had upgraded suspension as well as tires.
Wheelbase and tow vehicle weight made a difference.
Heaviest trailer was an ASK-21 in a clamshell behind the Legacy. Totally fine at speed until cut off by a butthead on a downhill.. thanks for the truckers that saw it coming and gave me "wiggle room".
The Nova had "get up and go", but not good in soft fields.
The Camry was good in soft fields, but weak.
The Legacy was better, but could deal with poor surfaces. It was also a good daily driver and decent on long (300+ miles) tows.

Many decades ago, I "heard" about 9 passenger wagons with modded suspension, NASCAR type drivers going "really fast" back when you could land out, retrieve, return, relaunch......still score a day.....yes, before the first US gas embargo.

So, what is best?
Who will drive (some don't drive MT's).
By yourself or sorta dedicated crew?
Do you have a second vehicle onsite?