Old March 24th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
150flivver

Default How many here learned to fly under the "GI Bill?"

I'm retired military and have benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill.
You can use the current GI Bill for flight training but as was
mentioned, the VA doesn't make it easy. Not only does the school have
to have a Part 141 program that you're interested in, the Part 141
syllabus has to be specifically approved by the VA. What the VA knows
about flight training wouldn't fill a teacup and yet they have to
review the school's program to see if it "qualifies." The fact that
the FAA has already done so before it issued a '141 certificate is not
sufficient. Flight schools don't like the paperwork hassle dealing
with VA career pencil pushers whose primary goal in life is to create
more paperwork that they can constantly review so they can continue to
draw a paycheck. Theoretically, the VA will pay up to 60% of the cost
of training past the PPL. I'm currently getting my A&P through the VA
at a community college and my benefits more than cover the tuition and
books. I looked at using them for flight training but figured I would
pay less by paying 100% myself to a CFI under Part 61 and renting than
going to the only VA approved school here in San Antonio and taking
their professional pilot course at a 60% discount (the VA
contribution).