Old June 2nd 08, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
More_Flaps

Default CFI oral intel

On 2008-05-30, Hilton wrote:

Why? *Because all posts have made the (probably) incorrect assumption that
the aircraft somehow fly wings-levels to its demise.

In a plane that cruises at 110kt, though, this probably isn't an
incorrect assumption - many aircraft in this class will fly wings level
all day in smooth air. A properly rigged C172 will do it. My old C140
did it. Never tried it in the Auster, but that will probably do it too.

A Beech Bonanza probably won't (at least none of the Bonanzas I've
flown) but they don't cruise at 110kt either.

Have you flown a 172 that would fly hands off for long periods? I've
15 different 172s and not one would fly hands off for more than 30s.

Cheers