Old September 12th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:30:34 -0700 (PDT), Mike Bamberg
wrote:

.... text deleted...
Actually no, it's not an e-6b. I have one of the circular glide
computers from that era, set up for a 301 Libelle. There are several
versions but the one I have has a side to place a sectional chart (or
portion of one) and a spiral set of lines to show glide distance into
a headwind. You twist the correct line over your current location and
I think it indicates the correct altitude for final glide, or some
combination thereof.

If someone is really interested I can post pictures on my website. m
l b ( at ) m i k e b a m b e r g . c o m (remove the spaces, replace
the at) drop me a line and I'll go through the effort.

Mike

I presented a paper at the 1991 OSTIV meeting detailing a software
program, written in HP BASIC, to compute the required parameters and
plot the graphic overlay for this type of final glide computer, which
Helmut Reichmann called a "Stocker" calculator. On my copy of
Reichmann's "Cross Country Soaring", the descirption of the computer
is on page 120.

The program I wrote was designed to drive an HP plotter which
generated an overlay what would be printed on a transparency and
overlaid on top of a sectional map.

If anyone is interested in ancient historical artifacts, send me an
email and I'll forward a copy of the paper.

Bob