Old May 28th 05, 08:51 PM
Antoņio

Gary Drescher wrote:

I don't know how the FAA may have ruled on such situations in practice, but
the FARs seem ambiguous on the question. Of course, FAR 91.131a1 requires a
clearance before entering Class B.

Didn't I have that clearance by default since I was operating under ATC
instructions?

In such a situation, I would first make every effort to alert the tower that
I'm about to enter Class B. If the frequency is too congested to talk on the
radio, I'd hit Ident.

Good technique to remember--the ident thing. I didn't think of that as
things happened so fast and the frequency was a solid wall of
congestion.

If I still had no reply from the tower, I'd leave the
traffic pattern, stay clear of Class B, head outside the Class D (if not
outside already), and contact the tower as soon as possible.

That might have been inadvisable in this particular case. There were
too many aircraft around and the airspace there is difficult to
negotiate. I think it might have caused more confusion to suddenly
depart the pattern and leave them wondering, "what is he going to do"?

I'd suggest that you submit an ASRS form, both for your legal protection,
and also to call attention to the problem.

Great idea, once again. Thanks Gary!

Antonio