Old June 11th 08, 09:18 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Boeing Reveals Sub-Tracking ScanEagle Study

On Jun 11, 11:14*am, "Boomerang" wrote:
That's the basic idea, of course, but once MAD contact is gained, you can
cloverleaf on it as long as you can hang in there at 2-300' (VP) and the
contact doesn't haul ass or back down. *Each time you get a "MADMAN," the
procedure used to be (long time ago for me) to retro out a smoke and if
everything is working right, you can look aft and see the contact's track in
the water as marked by your smokes on each pass. *The helo folks had their
own tactic, but the basic idea is the same. As a former VP CO, I used to
take crews out to the Andrea Doria wreck which sits in about a six knot
current part of the year. By cloverleafing over the wreck and marking each
contact with a smoke, you can simulate what a real one making six knots
would look and feel like. *Good practice. *Nowadays I guess that's all done
in the simulator for a lot less money.

I wonder how well this would work against a sub that DOES
"haul ass or back down". Or against a sub with a low magnetic
signature.

The titanium-hulled Alphas may be gone now, but steel-hulled
boats can have their magnetic signatures reduced by modern
magnetic silencing technology:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ad.php?t=90956

http://eyeball-series.org/deperm/deperm-eyeball.htm

I wonder if a MAD-only UAV is such a good idea.