Old October 5th 17, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

Default How to teach XC with lead/follow technique?

I have helped "fledge" a number of pilots this way. But when we lead follow, I follow. You can advise, suggest, and correct from behind. If necessary, you can pop the spoilers, and direct up close and personal.

I have since bought into a piece of a duo and done dual instruction in that.. Each has its advantages. But in our club, our club gliders are 1-34 ish performance, when you take someone along for a ride in the duo, the get a great introduction in what is possible, but take away, "what us possible in a duo". If you lead follow in their glider, they know it is possible for them.

Keep in mind, that as a middle of the score sheet guy, I am not teaching racing strategy, but trying to get capable pilot to venture out of glide from home. I am looking for the maximum success experience. Make it around the course, useing the 3 golden rules:

Get high
Stay high
And don't get low

Most importantly, fly to the next airport when safe, now this is home. Rinse repeat.

These are folks that are without there silver. If it takes 5 hrs to do there 50k, all the better;-)

Once over there jitters, work on speed.

So dual, in damn near anything to work on thermaling, then follow / lead. Works really well...

RR