Old March 13th 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Navigation flight planning during training

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
This question is directed at student pilots and flight instructors.

How many of you learn/teach cross country navigation using the
traditional methods using paper charts, protractors, E6B and
navigation logs?

Well, I'm neither but I am traditional. Certainly the newer and more convenient
ways of flight planning need to be taught. At the same time, I think you're
doing your student a disservice if he doesn't learn how to do it the old
fashioned way. You don't always have access to a computer.

It would be analogous to expecting to fly by GPS only to have it take a crap on
you. Certainly being able to find your way via VORs and NDBs would be an
advantage.

When I was learning, even though we had a perfectly reliable VOR system, we
still were expected to be able to find our way by pilotage. I can, too...
though it's hardly the way I'd choose to go. But the skill set wasn't a total
waste of time.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com