Old August 29th 05, 02:24 PM
Dave Butler

three-eight-hotel wrote:

So I started thinking.... (no wise cracks please) Portable handheld
with the many wis-bang features that it does have (downloadable Wx,
terrain display, etc.) and take the difference and put it towards 2nd
COM and possibly DME (for shooting those DME required approaches)
OR.... Panel mount with built in COM, legal DME and do Wx and terrain
planning the hard way???

I've been thinking, too. My background: I have a partnership in a Mooney that's
just now getting GNS480 IFR GPS capability (it's in the shop right now). I
installed a first-generation (GX50) IFR GPS in a plane I owned previously. I
have experience with 3 handheld GPSs, a Garmin 90, GPSMAP 196, and I just
received my GPSMAP 396 last week.

I'm thinking if I ever went back to sole ownership, it would probably be
something in the 172/Cherokee capability range, and I'd install the GPSMAP 396
panel mounting bracket and get along without the IFR certification. In a plane
of that class, I'd prefer the convenience and capabilities of the 396, with
weather and terrain. Panel mounting would remove the disadvantages of wires
running all over the cockpit, which I detest.

There's a panel mounting bracket for the 396. I guess the idea is you can
*legally* have the bracket permanently installed, although permanent
installation of the 396 itself probably could not be certified.

I think there's a lot of added value to having something like the 396 without
certification. You can do a lot with it when enroute IFR, for a relatively small
investment. The additional investment and capability that comes with IFR enroute
/ terminal / approach certification doesn't have such a good cost/benefit ratio.

Other benefits to the handheld are using it in the car, just watching
Wx at home (for fun), identifying the hot fishing spots on Eagle Lake
and being able to get back to them quickly... ;-)

I plan to use my 396 in the car. It will replace the 196 I use in my car now.
Right now I have the 396 set up in my living room watching hurricane Katrina.

Dave