Old August 29th 05, 04:30 PM
xyzzy

Dave Butler wrote:

I'm thinking if I ever went back to sole ownership, it would probably be
something in the 172/Cherokee capability range, and I'd install the
GPSMAP 396 panel mounting bracket and get along without the IFR
certification. In a plane of that class, I'd prefer the convenience and
capabilities of the 396, with weather and terrain. Panel mounting would
remove the disadvantages of wires running all over the cockpit, which I
detest.

Just to clarify, are you saying your plane would be IFR certified but
you wouldn't bother with an IFR certified GPS? So you would use
VOR/LOC/DME etc for official IFR flying and the GPS for situational
awareness?

There's a panel mounting bracket for the 396. I guess the idea is you
can *legally* have the bracket permanently installed, although permanent
installation of the 396 itself probably could not be certified.

I read elsewhere (can't remember where) that you also have to be careful
about permanently installing the wires because it starts to cross the line.

I think there's a lot of added value to having something like the 396
without certification. You can do a lot with it when enroute IFR, for a
relatively small investment. The additional investment and capability
that comes with IFR enroute / terminal / approach certification doesn't
have such a good cost/benefit ratio.

That makes sense for today but what about the future? It seems that
the FAA is going in the direction of relying more on GPS approaches and
less on ground based navaids. Also a GPS approach to each end of the
runway obviates the need for a lot of circling approaches. It's
starting to look like more airports will be GPS-only or will have ILS
and to one runway and GPS only to the other Wouldn't that concern you?

Keep in mind that I am only an instrument student, not IFR rated, when I
give these opinions