Old May 22nd 04, 04:50 AM
Richard Hertz

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, (Doug) said:
So I am in the hold at the BJC VOR for the VOR DME approach to 2v2.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0405/09041VDA.PDF

At what point do I leave the hold and intercept the 345 radial?

At the VOR? Or at the end of the outbound leg?

Note that the depicted hold is a missed approach hold, not a hold in lieu
of a procedure turn. If you were in the missed approach hold and you
decided to do the approach again, I think you'd have to go to the VOR,
since it's the IAF. I'm not sure how you're supposed to get back on
course since it says "Procedure Turn NA" in the profile view. Without
that notation, I'd think the prudent thing would be a left turn to 165 and
then a procedure turn to the left. Turning right to intercept the 345
radial from there seems dangerous since it's leading to the high terrain.

Huh? Making up your own procedures and vectors is probably not a good idea.
The chart clearly shows 8000' for the missed appch altitude (seems to be
quite safe to me) and VOR crossing altitude is 9200', then down to other
altitudes.

So why is the hold for missed so special. Proc turn is NA in any case and
the first time to the VOR/approach what are you going to do? Make up
another of your turns?

Follow the chart and don't guess - at the VOR turn inbound, intercept the
radial as depicted and you will be fine.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
There is alleged to be an airport whose designator is ARP but I've