Old July 1st 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default THE FUTURE OF VFR

On 30 Jun 2006 15:02:46 -0700, wrote in
.com::

I suspect that what will happen in the future is that VFR will be
limited to Class G airspace, and in all other airspace you will need to
be under positive control using the new system...

That would virtually eliminate VFR operations above 700'/1,200'
throughout most of the CONUS. I sincerely hope nothing this draconian
occurs.

This would still
provide a degree of freedom for VFR type operations in uncongested
airspace, but in congested airspace you will need to comply with the
new equipment and control rules...

Any pilot who fails to avail themselves of Radar Traffic Advisory
Service within 100 miles of Los Angeles has a death wish, IMNSHO. That
said, I'd still prefer to have the option, rather than have ATC
routing me in inconvenient ways that don't really address my
preferences.

The real question here, is will there need to be retraining for those
VFR pilots who lack an instrument rating?

And what of operations below radar coverage?

As the years go by, I find the new technology and scientific
discoveries awesome, but I'm very happy I grew up in simpler times
when there was more freedom.