Old September 25th 04, 06:10 PM
Scott

For VHF stuff, http://www.hamtronics.com
Of course these are geared toward us ham radio guys, but they have
receivers for FM up to 902 MHz, I believe. Fairly simple stuff with
schematics, so it's easy to add capabilities to use them as remote
control receivers, etc. if you are technically inclined, which it sounds
as though you are...

Scott

karel wrote:

"Netgeek" wrote in message

[First post after lurking for quite some time...8-)...]

MANY years ago I built up quite a few kits that I got from RST (thanks to
Jim Weir!) and really enjoyed it while learning alot. But that was more

than

20 years ago. In looking around lately I can find very little that would

be

suitable for DIY. As a product designer for the last 25 years I realize
that much of the technology has moved beyond the capabilities of the

average

DIY type (surface mount, custom ASICs, etc.) - BUT - is there anything out
there?

I would like to build a number of things (e.g. remotely controlled VHF
receivers, ADS-B, etc.) but it looks like I'll have to go it alone and
design them from scratch. I'd be interested in hearing from any of you

about

things you've seen out there as well as any potential interest in getting
involved in DIY avionics.

Sure, most of the off-the-shelf stuff is cheap and available, but if any

of

the new NASA/FAA initiatives really come to pass (AGATE, SATS,etc.) there
could be a real need for modular, inexpensive widgets and functional

blocks

that could be integrated easily into a custom "system".

Any pointers/comments most welcome!

Can only say I have been thinking along much the same way.
Only I am not acquainted of AGATE, SATS and whatever.
But I have lots of thoughts on a bus system with
solid state gyro's and pitot/static, GPS, auto-pilot &C
Lots of thought yes
and of course not the time to do anything with them...

KA from Europe

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/