Old October 24th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Natalie

Default What are cowl flaps?

Mxsmanic wrote:
What are cowl flaps for, and how are they used? The name implies that
they are some sort of aerodynamic control surface, but they don't
appear to have any aerodynamic effects. In simulation, they are doors
on the bottom of the engine nacelles that open for some unclear
purpose (I see what looks like exhaust pipes or something inside).
What do they do, and why do I have a control for opening and closing
them? This is on a Baron 58, the aircraft I usually fly in
simulation.

They control cooling air through the engine cowls. They are flap
shaped "valves" if you want on the outflow of the cooling air.
When open, you get more cooling air but that also means more
drag. In my plane, I can get another five to ten knots when
I close them. I take-off and climb with them open and close
them at cruise.