Old December 31st 03, 12:45 AM
Allen Epps

In article , Andrew Toppan
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:31:01 -0800, "Yofuri" wrote:

Old news; already built and flying. Looking for a job?

EF-18G built and flying? According to who? The Navy apparently doesn't think
so, or they wouldn't have awarded a large contract to develop the aircraft.

F/A-18E/F is "built and flying". EF-18G has been under discussion and
preliminary development for some time, so the contract is no surprise.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

The F airframe has been fitted and flown with the the ALQ-99 pods which
will used as exiting as GFE or Government Furnished Equipment for the
project. The ESM pods on the wingtips have been flown and have gone
through extensive integration work. The simulator and avionics
integration work has been going on for at least 7 years as I flew the
sim in St Louis back in the 96 timeframe. It's evolved nicely and I
flew the more recent verion on a roadshow at Andrews last year. All in
all Boeing/Mcair as put a lot of their own money into this project
over the last little bit knowing the Navy would figure out the Prowler
was going to die much quicker than the projected. I would regard the
technology as low risk, the question will be more who gives up a slot
for E/F production if the Navy decides they want the airframes sooner
than 09.
The next issue is why keep them at Whidbey (except for airspace and
whole lot of other reasons not the least of which is Elk hunting and
steelhead fishing) ;^

Pugs