Old June 1st 07, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
erik

Default $1500 Cash Reward

On May 26, 12:25 am, Dan wrote:
erik wrote:
On May 25, 12:07 pm, Scott wrote:
Except for the a$$holes. Maybe they'll blow their brains out while
cleaning one of the guns...

Scotthttp://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)

Rich S. wrote:

There are a$$holes out there and always will be. I hope

no one was hurt in the incident.
Rich S.
--

Shouldn't the firearms have been locked away in safes at the owners'
residences, in stead of being in hangers or in planes? Here in South

Erik Snyman
Messina
South Africa.

Here in the U.S., in most states, reasonable care is the standard.
This means minors and unauthorized persons don't have access. I agree
firearms should be in a safe except those used for self defense. This is
more to save the bother of recovering the firearms than to keep someone
from stealing them.

Assuming the hangar in question was locked that should be enough to
protect any property from being stolen. A competent burglar can get into
most safes and buildings if he is determined to do so.

In my case I have a gun safe, but I shouldn't need it since I live
alone and secure my house when I am not home. If South Africa holds the
gun owner as much as or more responsible than the burglar then something
is wrong there.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired- Hide quoted text -

There is more. A gun safe has to conform to governement
specifications. If you can not show forced entry into your safe (by
means of a grinder, drill, explosives, etc.) you will be charged with
having the gun stolen as a result of your own negligance. If found
guilty, in addition to possible jail time and a hefty fine, you will
also lose the licenses to the four firearms you as an ordinary private
citizen is allowed to own, and have to sell or give away said firearms
within a specified period of time. Failing this, it will be taken away
from you by the police, for destruction. You may not destroy the arms
yourself, as this is against the law. This leaves corrupt policemen
free to sell your firearm through the back door to criminals (which is
happening), and now you have contributed not only the original stolen
gun, but also the ones you are now deemed unfit to posess, to the
criminal underworld. Cases are said to be investigated in numerous
instances against numerous policemen selling confiscated guns to
criminals. One never hears about the outcome of such cases. Is
something wrong in South Africa where the criminal has more "rights"
than the victim? Where the victim is often persecuted for defending
his or her property/life/person with a firearm? And of course, heaven
helps you if, in the course of said self defense, a shot is fired and
the criminal is hit. The weapon will be taken from you by the police
for ballistic testing, which will commenly take up to two years to
complete. During which time you will be weaponless, if that weapon
happens to be the only one you posess. THEN charges of attemted
murder, manslaughter and others can be laid against you. Which means
that, if found guilty, you will be declared unfit to posess a firearm
and you will never be granted a lisence to own a firearm again. Then,
of course the criminal can sue you for compensation for pain and
suffering caused, loss of income, permanent disability, etc. etc. Is
something wrong in South Africa? You decide.....

Sorry about the tirade. I had a bad start-off to the day. Wrong side
of the bed and all that.

Erik Snyman
Messina
South Africa.