Old February 12th 13, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Pirker Final Glide Theory

On Monday, February 11, 2013 12:56:53 PM UTC-5, Richard Brisbourne wrote:
The Stocker calculator as described by Reichmann
(with instructions on how to make one) was
substantially more complex.

From memory you had a transparent disc with
altitude spirals in one hemisphere and in the other
hemisphere one set of curves corresponding to wind
components and an intersecting set of curves
corresponding to McReady readings. The latter set of
curves depended on the polar of the glider.

This disc was mounted on a map with the centre at
the goal point and it could be rotated about that point.
Above the disc was a linear cursor, also transparent
marked with distances, rotated about the disc centre.

To read the calculator, you rotated the disc so that
the spiral corresponding to your altitude lay over your
current position on the map. You then rotated the
cursor so that the line also lay over that point; the
other end of the cursor intersected the wind and
McReady spirals; the correct setting for the wind
could then be read off.

Yep - First commercial gliding product I did was a
version of this calculator, sold by Cambridge Aero
in the early 80s (maybe late 70s). Still have a few
in the basement I think ! Worked well but it was too
large for USA sectionals and LDs of modern gliders.
Anybody out there still have one ?
I think Chip Bearden needs one.

See ya, Dave "YO electric"