Old November 20th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Gordon[_1_]

Default Green Flash

Dave wrote:
Yeff wrote in news:16l7ldud49dqv
:

http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/gfim12.htm
http://spaceweather.com/swpod2006/31jan06/zinkova.jpg

So, anyone ever seen it from the air or a boat?

Many times, most often on the Midway, '80 - '83. I have seen it from the air
once, and maybe 10 or 15 times (or more?) from the Silver Strand in Coronado.
The conditions do have to be right for it to be seen.

That's interesting that you mention Silver Strand State Beach, Dave -
we've seen it there twice over the years, I suppose because of its
orientation and the wx conditions that happen there. At times of the
year where sunset is well clear of Point Loma off to the right of
sundown, lots of people go to watch the sunset.

We also used to use the "Gallery Method" when we were on Diego Garcia
in P-3s. I posted this before, I think. A CDR McKeown (sp) that we all
called 'the Major' had us flying around at about 20,000' in late
afternoon and told the crew he was trying to "catch the Green Flash".
At sunset at our altitude (obviously, sunset varies with altitude), he
was able to juggle us a few feet up and down to give everyone on board
a chance to come up to the stand behind the FE's seat and witness the
event. I don't think it took any particular skill - just patience.
The last time I saw it flying was coming out of Oman on a very sandy
day. The Negev desert and the temperature inversions were stirring up
a heat wave up at altitude that made everything a deep sepia tone.
That time, it wasn't a 'flash' - it was a sustained green-ish sunset
off the right wing. It was really weird!

v/r Gordon