Old November 25th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank[_11_]

Default Private Pilot Uniforms

I am anticipating getting my private certificate in the not-too-distant future. I know this may sound like a real dorky thing to some people, which is why I am reluctant to ask my instructor, but I was thinking about getting a uniform.

I do not want to do anything against any "protocol", nor would I want to offend any career pilots or military personnel. Accordingly, I want to pose the questions for everyone here.

Is it permissible for a private pilot to wear a shirt and/or jacket that epaulettes with 4 gold stripes? I believe that gold is for "officers" (such as the captain of the plane) and 4 stripes signify the pilot (3 are for crew). Is this correct?

Also, is it ok to wear a pilot cap with generic gold wings to match the epaulettes?

Although this may sound a little quirky to some, I am interested in displaying how VERY proud I am, but I don't want to offend.