Old October 7th 04, 12:20 PM
kontiki

I was in a similar situation (although a few years older than you),
with my kids gone and some time to spend my money on myself for a change.
Bought my Comanche 250 in April and so far I've put a set of tires on it,
replaced the wing root seals and cowl chafe, some SCAT hoses I'm still
troubleshooting an intermittent problem with the NAV radio (actually the
antenna/feedline now). I think you have to have plenty of cash available
to fix whatever goes wrong and not sweat about spending it. Also if you
can do a lot of your own maintenance and minor repairs as I do it will
save you plenty.

My insurance is $1900/yr, hangar is $125/mo and fuel around here (50nm
west of SAV) is $2.75. It would be painful to have to pay $250 - $300
for a hangar because I plan on $150 a month just for incidentals. I have
not regretted doing it at all.. on the other hand I have a fairly simple
lifestyle in other ways and prefer to spend my extra money on the plane
and associated traveling. Just remember you can't take it with you.
I have already explained to my kids that there will be no inheritance
because I plan on spending it all. :^)

Yeah_right wrote:
I really want to make a good decision on this so, I'm giving myself plenty
of time, two years, to get my ducks lined up. I've want either an Archer or
an Arrow with an IFR package.

I've started looking at and pricing hanger space at selected airports in the
Houston area where it'll be based. DWH prices it at $250 a month. Haven't
had a chance to look anywhere else as yet.

I guess what I'm looking for from the board is a breakdown on how much some
of you are paying for loans, insurance, tie-down and upkeep on planes with
similar packages.

Just some financial facts please. Other than the fun factor and the
knowledge that I'll have my own bird to fly whenever I please, I know the
cost of owning a plane is next to impossible to justify.

But I'm a recent empty nester, my source and income is stable, reliable, and
on the increase. I'm fairly young, late 30's, and feel lthat I've paid my
dues to my kid and now it's time I spoil myself.