Old November 18th 04, 07:35 PM
xyzzy

BTIZ wrote:

Look at the POH and determine what the take off distance is over a 50ft
obstacle, normal take off (no flaps) Then compute the landing distance over
a 50ft obstacle. This will give you a very conservative Accelerate / Stop
distance estimate. If the runway in use is shorter than that, then you may
not be able to accelerate to rotation speed, chop the throttle and safely
stop. I would use the short field take off procedure.

If the POH does not list take off data for 1 notch of flaps, and states to
use 2 notches for a short field. Then I would use 2 notches and not pay
attention to the instructor that says to use only one notch.

I fly a warrior. If I am not doing a short field technique I usually
take off with one notch of flaps. This was suggested by an instructor
and I find that with 1 notch the plane "unsticks" and climbs to 50 feet
much easier. I don't think it improves the performance signficantly but
it's a much smoother and comfortable takeoff.

short field is 25 degrees and 52 kts. And it does get off and clear an
obstacle in less distance that way.