Old June 29th 05, 03:50 PM
Corky Scott

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:52:56 -0700, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

Hi Ron, I wonder what the evidence is that it was a bird strike? I don't
see any blood and guts anywhere.

I noticed that, too. Something else could have gone through the blade, but I
don't know if a bolt or nut would do this kind of damage. The guy may have
cleaned it off already....

Ron Wanttaja

Here's another couple of data points: The prop appears to be made
from a solid blank, not laminated from numerous strips.

I read a long time ago that the props on the EZ type aircraft run in
such turbulence that it's recommended they use wooden props only. The
turbulence is unavoidable in that it's the result of the prop passing
through the lift created by the trailing edge of the wing. There also
may be exhaust pulses to whap through as well. That's why the EZ's
have that characteristic buzz when they fly by. In fact all pushers
seem to sound that way.

Wooden props are supposed to **DAMPEN** vibration.

Interestingly, the only part of the information suggesting a bird
strike is the title. Nothing in the storyline claims that or suggests
it. It certainly isn't impossible for birds to be at 9,500, just a
lot less likely than closer to the ground. It isn't migration time...

Corky Scott