Old May 21st 05, 01:39 PM
Matt Whiting

Default Precision instrument flying

I was just reviewing the new Elmira One departure procedure. I think
the government has let GPS go to their heads. Unless I'm reading it
incorrectly, it specifies the initial heading out to TWO decimal places!
The procedure is pretty trivial as it basically says to fly runway
heading to 4000 feet, but it is specified as below, using R24 as an example:

Climb via heading 242.40 to 4000, thence...

I'm not bad on heading control, but no way I can fly 242.40, or even
242.4. I'm pretty happy if I can fly 241 - 243! :-)

Matt